An interior electrical circuit breaker panel installed within the living space of a home is common in nearly all new home construction and is also found in homes dating as far back as the beginning of residential electrical wiring. Installing an electrical panel within the living space of a home has many benefits.
- Having the control of each independent circuit breaker inside the building allows for the owner or a service electrician to quickly and easily identify and safe off a circuit to repair, isolate or manipulate the wiring or electrical devices or appliances on that circuit.
- Having quick and easy access to the electrical panel and circuit breakers on the interior of your home or business keeps the homeowner or electrician from being exposed to the outside elements and weather conditions.
- The atmosphere of the interior of most homes in Orlando, Fl is conditioned and controlled by an air conditioner that delivers either heated or cooled air through a coil of heat or evaporator coil thus eliminating humidity and moisture from the air. This will extend the overall life of any electrical equipment especially an interior electrical panel and the breakers within it.
- For construction cost purposes, electrical nonmetallic sheathed cable (Romex) is the highest cost of the job. It is beneficial to install an interior electrical panel in a conservative location to shorten and centralize the origination of each branch circuit thus lowering the overall cost of the electrical installation.
If all wiring is installed properly, which should be the case in any new construction application, then there is no need to worry about having your electrical panels inspected or serviced by an electrician for at least ten to twenty years from the year the home was built.
The negative side effects of having an interior electrical panel are somewhat minimal.
- Having the electrical panel located in the interior of the home or business would not be desirable if the interior electrical panel has loose terminations at the service entrance conductors or the branch circuit conductors to the terminating lugs or screws on the breakers or connections at the electrical panel. Any loose termination of a wire to its terminating point will result in a possible electrical fire.
- The result of wires ran through knockouts in the panel with improper fittings may also result in an electrical fire. Most, if not all electrical fires are caused by over arcing of some sort. As the separation of conductors gets further apart, the arc gets wider thus creating more heat which can ignite wood or other flammable building materials. Electric circuit breaker panels are typically designed and built of metal. If a wire is run through a cut out hole of an electrical panel without the proper insulated bushing to protect the wire insulation from being cut, the wire and metal panel may possibly create a short to ground thus causing an arc that if next to any combustible material will ignite.
All electrical circuit breaker panels should be serviced and inspected every ten to twenty years for corrosion and loose terminations by a licensed and reputable electrical service or contracting company. Electrical fires usually grow over time so if you see any abnormalities in your electrical system you should be alarmed and cautious and call In Phaze Electric. One should not be careless with flickering lights or outlets in their home or business. Do not hesitate, give us a call right away.
As the owner of In Phaze Electric I have seen electrical fires in many ways and forms, I have seen a house burn to nothing but ash due to an electrical fire. Most house fires are caused by faulty electrical wiring or installation during the construction of the home or at any time of electrical service or repair done to the home by an electrician. Our priority at In Phaze Electric is to have safety as our number one priority. I have encouraged our Service Managers to provide a good and thorough electrical inspection of every customer’s home or business no matter what the electrical service call is regarding. Our electricians take their job seriously and we do our best to be the most honest and informative electrical service provider in Central Florida.
Keep in mind that most electrical panels are built with similar requirements and standards and are somewhat alike but some panels like Square D QO or Cutler-Hammer CH series breakers are known to be of better quality. These panels and style of breakers typically cost a little more but take note that we typically see a longer life span of the electrical panel and breakers over time when inspecting these types of electrical panels.
Learn More About Interior Electrical Circuit Breaker Panels in Florida:
Call Us Today For A Free Estimate: 407-599-7777
All work performed by the In Phaze Electric team is up to current code.